Follow Us @soratemplates

Saturday, May 21

Book Talk | A Court Of Mist And Fury


Title: A Court Of Mist And Fury
Author: Sarah J Maas
Page Count: 624
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy
Goodreads Rating: 4.74
My Rating: 5 Glorious Starts
Book Cover Rating: 5.0
Would recommend to: EVERYBODY
Bad Book Review: Wingspans are very important.
Review type: First part spoiler free, second part spoilers
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide 

 
Spoiler free
This book went in such a different direction than I originally thought, and this is a good thing because I loved the storyline. Sarah kept surprising me with certain scenes and despite the fact that this book is 624 pages long, there was not a single boring part. I am very glad I decided to read this twice in a row, because the first time I read it so fast, I just needed to know what was going to happen next. I may have enjoyed this novel even more the second time around, because I read it slower and treasured every single moment.

There are also some new characters in this book, who I absolutely LOVED. I am not going to name them, because I think that would spoil some events, especially if you haven't read ACOTAR either, but I have two words: Squad Goals. 
This book has such a fun cast of character who, when they're all together, are a lot of fun. They all have their own identity and history and are very different from each other. I really liked this, because I have read other books that have side characters who are actually all the same character with different names, but that was certainly not the case with this book.

That's about the only non-spoilery thing I can say. If you haven't read ACOMAF and especially if you haven't read ACOTAR either, I recommend you stop reading now, because I don't want to spoil you, believe me, you want to have the full experience from these books.


SPOILERS AHEAD
Depression
The first thing I want to talk about is how amazingly Sarah wrote Feyre's depression at the beginning of the book. Feyre is deeply unhappy, because Tamlin is not allowing her to do anything and is followed around by sentries everywhere she goes. I could truly feel her pain and Sarah described the whole deal of being depressed so well. 
I could feel how Feyre was drowning in her feelings and how hurt she was from everything that happened Under the Mountain. The moment Tamlin locked her up in the mansion I just wanted to punch him in the face, what a dick. The only thing I'm going to say about Tamlin is that he is the biggest asshole in the world and I hope he dies in book 3.

Rhysand
I can't even describe how much I love Rhysand. I already loved him in the first book and honestly had NO idea he had this ''Mask of the High Lord'' thing going on, but holy gods, he is the sweetest and most caring person ever. 
I love how he acts around his friends and how much he loves his city Valaris. I love how everybody was like ''Tamlin is the beast with the prince inside of him'', while actually it was about Rhysand all along. He did everything to keep his people and his city save and protected. The fact that he kept Valaris a secret for 500 years just blew my mind. I can't even imagine how much he suffered Under the Mountain, thinking he would never see his beloved city and friends again. It really broke my heart. Rhys deserves happiness more than anyone.
I also loved that Rhys is such a feminist. He doesn't see women as the weaker sex, his second and third in command are both female and he is training Illyrian women to serve in his army if they want to.
In the beginning of the book, Feyre asks Tamlin if she will be the High Lady of the Spring Court when she marries him and he tells here there is no such thing as a High Lady and that she is being stupid. At the end of this novel is revealed that Rhysand made Feyre the High Lady of the Night Court because she is his equal in every way. This again show how much better Rhys is than Tamlin. 


Feyre and Rhysand
The main reason why I loved this book so incredibly much is because of Feyre and Rhysand. I already loved them together in ACOTAR and shipped them from the first moment he appeared on Calanmai. I like that Sarah didn't immediately threw them in a relationship, but slowly let it build throughout the book. I adored the letters they send to each other, they really warmed my heart.
The moment we find out that Rhys and Feyre are mates I just cried and cried and cried. It made me so incredibly happy; to know that they were happy and that they were destined to be together. The scene that made me cry the most was where Rhys tells her his life story and how he started dreaming about her before they had even met, about a girl hunting in the would and making beautiful paintings. That he loved her before they had ever set eyes upon each other and that the moment they first met at Fire Night, he would do everything to keep her save, his mate. The fact that he was crying while he told her this only shows how incredible this man is.
I thought nothing could top my Rowan and Aelin ship, but here I am and I don't know what to do with my life anymore.

Sex
I would also like to express my feelings about the sex scenes in this book. In ACOTAR we had a steamy sex scene, but hot damn it was nothing compared to this book. I like that Sarah made Feyre like the sex as well and wanted it just as much as Rhysand did. Often in YA it feels like women are not supposed or allowed to enjoy sex, while let's be real: that's not the case. Feyre and Rhys could not get enough of each other and it was just very realistic.
Actually I also liked that the scenes were pretty graphic. It always annoys me when you wait a long time for your OTP to finally do it and then the author just skips over the entire sex scene. It's such an anti-climax. 




The Inner Circle
I already spoke about this a bit in my non-spoilery part, but of course I have to express my love for Rhysand his Inner Circle.
First we have Amren, Rhys his second in command. She looks High Fae but is actually something ancient and wicked that nobody has ever seen before. One of a kind. She is just such an epic character. She used the blood ruby sent by the Summer Court, indicating a price on her head, as a paperweight in her apartment, I laughed so hard. I can't wait to find out what exactly Amren is, hopefully in the next book, because I am really curious.
Rhys his third in command is his niece Mor/Morrigan. I love Mor so incredibly much. She is such a bubbly and loving character and will do anything to protect the people she loves. My heart broke when Rhys told Feyre about how her father wanted to sell Mor to the highest bidder and when she quickly lost her virginity, was dumped at the border of the Autumn Court with a note nailed to her body that they could do whatever they wanted to her. Dispite this, Mor is strong and won't let anyone bring her down
Cassian and Azriel are the two Illyrian males in Rhys his Inner Circle. I like that they are both bastards, just like Rhysand and worked their way to the top from nothing. It shows how incredibly strong and disciplined they are. I am curious to find out more about Azriel, because I feel like we don't know what much about him yet and he just feels really mysterious to me.

Lucien
I felt so bad for Lucien in this book. He knew what Tamlin was doing to Feyre was bad and killing her and tried to go against him, but eventually was too afraid of Tamlin to say anything. He tries to tell Feyre things will get better and I knew in my heart he wanted to help her, but was torn between loyalty to Tamlin and doing the right thing.
You could also clearly tell that in the final scene, where Tamlin the tool is working together with the King of Hybern to get Feyre back, like she is some object he owns or something, ugh I hate Tamlin. You could so clearly tell Lucien felt like it was a horrible thing to do.
I think that in the next book Lucien will join Rhys his gang, especially because they have Elain, who apparently is his mate (this just came really out of the blue for me). I do like it, though. I'm very curious to see what he will do in the final book.

The Grand Finale
I was honestly terrified when I read the final chapters of this book. First they are caught and dragged to the throne room. Then Tamlin (did I already mention I hate him) BETRAYS everybody to get Feyre back and made a deal with the King of Hybern to let his forces into the Spring Court to destroy the wall and ATTACK THE HUMANS WTF TAMLIN. After that Feyre's sisters are dragged in together with the four mortal queens. At this point I was like ''wtf is happening''.
I don't know how I feel about Feyre's sisters being put into the Cauldron and turned into High Fae. I don't know it just felt weird to me, that they are now Fae as well.
The part that broke my heart the most was where Feyre tells the King to break the mating bond between her and Rhys, so that her friends and Rhys wouldn't be killed. You could so clearly feel Rhys his pain as he kept saying ''No, no please''. It broke my heart into a million pieces. I really thought it was the mating bond that was broken and at this point I was just a sobbing mess, because I was so happy they had mated and now it was broken. I was so relieved to find out it was only the bargain between them that was broken and not the mating bond.

This book was just such a wild ride and I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life till May next year. I cried and laughed and felt happy every moment I read this. It is truly the best book I have ever read.

Favorite Quotes

“To the people who look at the stars and wish, Rhys."
Rhys clinked his glass against mine. “To the stars who listen— and the dreams that are answered.” 


“And I wondered if love was too weak a word for what he felt, what he’d done for me. For what I felt for him.” 

“My friend through many dangers. My lover who had healed my broken and weary soul. My mate who had waited for me against all hope, despite all odds.”

 “The Court of Dreams.
The people who knew that there was a price, and one worth paying, for that dream. The bastard- born warriors, the Illyrian half breed, the monster trapped in a beautiful body, the dreamer born into a court of nightmares...And the huntress with an artist's soul.” 

“She is my mate. And my spy,' I said too quietly. 'And she is the High Lady of the Night Court.'
'What?' Mor whispered.
I caressed a mental finger down that bond now hidden deep, deep within us, and said, 'If they had removed her other glove, they would have seen a second tattoo on her right arm. The twin to the other. Inked last night, when we crept out, found a priestess, and I swore her in as my High Lady.' 
'Not consort, not wife. Feyre is High Lady of the Night Court.' My equal in every way; she would wear my crown, sit on a throne beside mine. Never sidelined, never designated to breeding and parties and child rearing. My queen.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment